On March 14, 1958, a public meeting was held to discuss a volunteer fire department in Holly Grove. This meeting took place at the old agricultural Building. A Temporary committee was formed and head by Chairman Franklin Swing and the Acting Secretary was Jr. Beck. A motion was made to organize a fire department of our own in Holly Grove which at the time was covered by Triangle Fire Department. A letter was sent from Rev Koontz along with the boundary lines drawn out to separate Holly Grove and Triangle fire departments. The vote to organize our own fire department in Holly Grove carried a 100% vote in favor of those that attended. During that meeting, they elected the first board members of the Holly Grove Fire Department, which were President Larry Pugh, Vice President Jack Foust, Secretary Franklin Swing and Treasurer Grimes Conrad.
During the next years meetings, Holly Grove adopted much of what Triangle Fire Department had in place for fees for members, business, Constitution and by-laws. On March 27, 1958, a vote was taken to purchase the first fire truck for Holly Grove Fire Department from a company in North Wilkesboro, NC, at a cost of $5000.00. The motion passed. During this meeting, they elected Jim Whitlock, the first fire chief and Laurence Hedrick, assistant chief. Over the next few meetings, the building and grounds committee studied and recommended the property just left of Holly Grove Mill Center, which was donated, for the placement of Holly Grove Fire Station. On April 22, 1958, twenty-six volunteer firefighters were voted on and accepted by the board of directors.
On May 27, 1958, the board voted on and approved the building plans for HGFD at a cost of $3000.00. The building was constructed with Two Bays. On January 8, 1959, Holly Grove Fire Department was approved to be incorporated by the State of North Carolina. In 1974, the second expansion took place with adding a third bay, bathrooms, kitchen and training room. In 1997, the third expansion took place due to the height requirements of the new modern day fire trucks. Two new bays were made and the original bays were closed in and made into offices, radio room, lounge, kitchen and training room.